Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Just For Fun

Here is a very basic review of some of the books I managed to read and remember that I read in 2015.  I like to read but I'm not a serious reader; a serious reader will recognize that by the books I've read.  But I do try and sneak in a book for fun as much as I can--a few pages at a time--between my responsibilities and sleep. I also thoroughly enjoy hearing what my friends have read and thought maybe it would be fun to try and recall what I read this past year too.   Here they are-such as they are:

Always fun to read and reliably put me in a good mood: The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith

Most entertaining and unveiled a surprising desire to go to Antarctica: Where'd Ya Go Bernadette by Maria Semple

One that I'm trying hard to like and finish (I have a hard time with her style.): Come Rain or Come Shine by Jan Karon

One that I enjoyed reading to Micah: Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

One that was about a favorite author BY that same author--I really love autobiographies:  A Girl From Yamhill by Beverly Cleary

One that helped me pass the creepingly slow time while my child recuperated in the hospital: And the Good News Is by Dana Perino

One about someone I admire by someone I admire:  41 by GW Bush

One that was trashy and lacked plot and was a general disappointment--don't waste your money even if it is at Costco and you are on vacation and need something to read really badly:  Last Kind Words Saloon  by Larry McMurtry

Creepier than I normally go and still makes me nervous about my closet when I think about it:  The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

Confusing, exciting, and for younger people than I am, but I really do like this series that my kids got me started on:  Lemony Snicket's  "Shouldn't You Be In School?"  

Both educational and moving:  Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nebeel Qureshi

Encouraging and moving: Prodigals and Those Who Love Them by Ruth Bell Graham

Number 1 book that I read this past year and would encourage someone else to read?  Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef

One that I'm reading now and have wanted to for some time (thanks for the Christmas present, Honey!):  North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Devotionals: Streams in the Desert by LB Cowman and Not by Sight by Jon Bloom (Thanks, Amber! I'm lovin' it!)

A  few in my stack for this winter: 
 She Is Mine by Stephanie Fast
Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard
The River by Michael Neale
Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Photograph by Beverly Lewis 


   












No comments:

Post a Comment